Good Landlordship Act

Better protection for tenants with the Good Landlordship Act

The Good Landlordship Act has been in effect since 1 July 2023 in the Netherlands. In accordance with this law, we are obligated to inform you about your rights and obligations as a tenant and about the municipality reporting point when you are not satisfied.

Your rights and obligations when renting a home
When you rent a home from us you sign a rental agreement, which includes the General Rental Conditions. This contains our specific agreements about the use of your home.

In short, these are your rights and obligations:

  • You must live in the rented property and use it only as a home.
  • We may not enter your home without your permission, except in the case of an emergency.
  • We repair defects in your home, except under certain circumstances (more about this in the document below).
  • You are responsible for the maintenance of anything you add to your home.
  • Your rent must not be higher than the maximum reasonable rental price.
  • The percentage by which the rent may be increased is determined every year by the government.
  • You will be informed of the service charges you have to pay.

All rights and obligations can be found in detail in this document: Information about your rights and obligations when renting a home.

Complaints and disputes
We want you to live comfortably and do our best every day to ensure this. However, it can still happen that you are not satisfied, in which case please let us know as soon as possible. If we do not resolve your complaint or if you are not satisfied with how we have handled it, you can also contact the independent Complaints Committee. More information about this can be found in this document: Information about your rights and obligations when renting a home.  

You can also contact your municipality's reporting point
Every municipality has a special reporting point for bad landlordship. Tenants, home seekers and others have the right to go here (anonymously) to make indications and reports about undesirable rental behaviour. Does the report have nothing to do with the Good Landlordship Act, or is the report about the undesirable rental behaviour of a housing association? In this case, the municipality can then refer the reporter to the correct organisation: the complaints committee of the relevant housing association, the rental committee or the subdistrict court. For more information or reporting a complaint, please contact Gemeente Enschede via this webpage: Meldpunt slecht verhuurderschap | Gemeente Enschede. 

More information about the Good Landlordship Act
For more information about the Good Landlordship Act go to this webpage from Rijksoverheid.